9.10.2008

Some advice please.

If I could have any chore taken from me right at this moment (it changes day to day) it would meal planning and shopping. I don't mind the cooking at all but coming up with the menu just about drives me crazy! Forget the fact that it needs to nutritious and actually TASTE good. Oh, the stress of it all! This is where you come in. All I am asking is for you share with me your secrets. Do you plan meals in advance or is at all last minute see whats in the meager food storage supply type thing? Do you plan something for every night of the week? Do you have a theme for each night? Tell me. I'm desperate and so is my husband!

11 comments:

Whitneymwall said...

I have a huge problem with that too. But I recently got a book that I really like called "What's for Dinner" by Jana Schofield. www.whatsfordinner1.com
It's over 6 months of menus planned for you. I love that each week it gives you a menu that uses certain things more than once so that you don't end up with random things left in your fridge. The recipe's are practical too. Wow now I sound like an infomercial!

Mike and Meg said...

I don't have any great advice for you! I just make a calender and stick to it! I saw on the today show or somewhere that you should only go to the store 1 time a week. Well it's true! I have only been going to the store 1 time a week and it saves me a ton of money.

Kerri said...

I rarely plan meals. I rummage through my pantry and freezer when it becomes dinner time.
One thing I love is ever qtr I get a Magazine from Kraft that is full is easy recipes, and a lot of the ingredients are staples at my home. If you do not get this magazine go to Kraft.com and sign up for it.

Aubrey said...

Ok Erin, it is funny you asked this when you did. Last night I went and learned how to cut your food budget in half, and stock up your food storage. I am going to start trying it out today. So if you are intersted let me know. I am actually going to have her come to my house and teach a class, if you are intersted.

On meal planning, that is still in progress. I need a little help on that too. I am trying to learn from a friend, she plans her meals for a month. So well see.

Erin said...

Yes, Aubrey. I'd be totally interested in a class like that. Let me know what you learn from your friend too.
Whit- I NEED that book.
Kerri- You're a big help. ;) I do have that magazine and have found some keepers.
Meg- I so wish I could plan that far in advance. Great suggestion!

Brianna said...

I'm with you Ernie except I hate the cooking part too! I DO plan my meals in advance, one week and a time and shop one week at a time. It saves me lots of money so Im not just buying random things that don't go together. I once had to serve my husband a meal of spaghettio's and applesauce...NO JOKE! Only because that was all we had and I was way past due to go to the store. As for planning meals...thats my biggest struggle. I need new meal idea's I am making the same crappy things every week!

Brianna said...

I just re-read what I wrote and I am laughing at my own comment! My poor husband had to eat something fit for a TODDLER! HAHAHAHAHA! But bless his heart...he ate it =)

Erin said...

Well B, I am just relieved to know that I'm not the only one with an occasionally suffering husband. :)

The Bronson Bunch said...

I don't mind cooking in the fall, winter and spring. In the summer my family suffers! I plan weekly and try to go to the store only once a week too. If your friend is doing the class about www.grocerysmarts.com it is an awesome thing to do! I have food storage I otherwise wouldn't have and you save a ton of money! A couple weeks ago I got toilet paper for FREE! Yes, FREE!! Um, I think a recipe swap might be a fun way to get some new recipes! If you are interested let me know and I will give you some of my favorites!

Alicia said...

My problem is the price of groceries... I try to buy just the basics and cook from that. But my kids aren't to hip on potatoes and beans ya know. And just like Jessica, my family suffers in the summer.. it's too hot to cook or bake anything and who can afford to BBQ all the time with meat $4 a pound?? All my kids want to eat is cold cereal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I guess I should just let them... it would make for a way easier shopping list :D

Cyd said...

I'm not really good at this either. I hate trying to cook unless Eric is home because I get too flustered trying to keep my kids out of trouble while I tend to the stove. Sometimes I manage to do a couple of good meals a week and I'm starting to learn that it doesn't take too much more time to double all the good meals so that I can stick half of it in the freezer for those lazy or no-time days. As for going to the store only once a week, I just don't know how people do it. I can't seem to manage it! But that is definitely a current goal of mine.