12.17.2008

Spencer Coleman Hind 1921-2008


My Grandpa died today. I am so full of emotions of every kind. Grandpa would be a whopping 88 years old in January. He lived a long and full life. I can only hope that I am blessed in the same way. He enriched my own life and many others. At a very young age he contracted spinal meningitis which in the end left him unable to hear at all. However, through his trials, my life has been enriched. I am thankful to have learned sign language among other things from him and my grandma. What a good man he was. I will miss him very much.
Some of my fondest memories are of him coming over to our house daily to feed the horse kept in our backyard. We got occasional rides and unlike most people, we had a HORSE in our backyard! I also remember him taking us to the West Jordan rodeo grounds to ride horses with ice cream afterwards. The there is the rib jab that Grandpa will always be famous for among the grandkids. Grandpa had a great sense of humor and a smile right to the end. What a good example he was to me. I feel blessed to have had him in my life for so long. I am so grateful for my testimony of the gospel and that I know I will see him again. I'm sure we will have a great chat then.

Spencer Coleman Hind
"A Man of Service"
January 10, 1921 ~ December 17, 2008
Spencer Coleman Hind, 87, passed away Wednesday, December 17, 2008 in West Jordan, Utah after a long and productive life. He was born January 10, 1921 on a farm in Smithfield, Utah, the son of James Albert and Amy Coleman Hind.
When Spencer was 7 years old he contracted meningitis and lost his hearing completely. He attended the Ogden School for the Deaf where he met Gladys Allsop. They were married in the Salt Lake Temple on December 5, 1940. Spencer and Gladys recently celebrated their 68th wedding anniversary with their family and friends.
In spite of what many would consider a disability he worked hard to support his family. He was a welder repairman for Westinghouse for 35 years.
Spencer was beloved in the deaf community and served the deaf people in many ways. He had a strong testimony of Jesus Christ and passed this faith on to his children. He served diligently in the LDS Church and was a pioneer in the leadership of the deaf branch of the LDS Church. He was the first deaf person in the church to serve as Branch President. He presided over the Salt Lake Valley Branch for the Deaf for eight years. He was called to be a high councilman in the Salt Lake City Park Stake. He was also the first deaf person to serve in that calling. He served in many capacities in the church including as a temple worker and as a full time missionary along with his wife in the Houston Texas Mission.
He loved horses and spent several happy years as part of the West Jordan Riding Club. He also loved dogs, tools, sports, and cars.
The Hind sense of humor is legendary and Spencer was no exception. He loved to tell funny stories and tease his grandchildren.
He is survived by his wife, Gladys; his children, Carol Stirling (Fred) of Pocatello, ID; Spencer J. (Judy, deceased; Karen), Richard (Cindy), Douglas (Karen), Ken (Valorie) all of West Jordan, Bill (Cherri) of Riverton, Janet Taylor (Boyd) of Mesa, AZ. He is also survived by 32 Grandchildren and 47 great- grandchildren. He was proud of his large family and enjoyed being among them.
Proceeded in death by his parents, his brothers Platt & Bernard and sisters Wilda and Thelma.
Services will be held Saturday, December 20 at 1:00pm where friends may call Friday, 6-8 pm and Saturday from 11:45 to 12:45 pm prior to services.
Dad, you can finally hear us.

8 comments:

Anderson Family said...

I forgot about the rib jab because it been so long since I have been a recipient of one.

Cyd said...

I love how all of our memories are shared ones.

The Bronson Bunch said...

I am sorry to hear this! It is always hard to lose someone close to you. He sounds like a really neat Grandpa!

Unknown said...

I has made me cry to read Mary, Cyd's and your posts today. I sometimes really miss my "utah family". I have great memories of the visits with your grandpa I was part of. My thoughts and prayers are with you all at this time and I wish I could be there to give you all a big hug. Times like this are a great reminder of our Heavenly Father's plan and make me so grateful I know the plan and that I can see loved ones that pass on again someday.

Love you guys.

Brianna said...

Love you Ern

Anonymous said...

Erin, that was a really nice tribute. You are lucky to have such great memories with him! Hope you are doing well.

Alicia said...

What a blessing to have had such a good Grandpa...One who cared and showed it. We just had my Grandpa's funeral too. Death is such an interesting thing... it brings such a well-spring of emotions. I am grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ because without it's perspective death would be such a sad event. We truly have so much to hope in!

Kerri said...

Sorry to hear this bad news. Let me know if you need something.
Love you!