No, I'm not speaking of my favorite lunch meat. I speak of the method in which I used to deprive my poor unsuspecting baby boy of his beloved "dee-dee" (binky).
We had been planning to remove the plug one day really soon but we just weren't in the mood for the pathetic crying and pleading that would ensue. As it turned out, however, Noah did some of the work for us and went and lost his binky. It was about 2 weeks ago while Adam was out of town (of course). It was his one and only so I decided it would also be his last. I dread this transition (I cried more than Kyle when we took his binky away) but I always do it cold turkey because for me there is no other way. I hate dragging out the inevitable and making it just more painful for me...I mean...my child. I've tried just giving the binky to him during bed time to kind of wean him but its much too easy to give in and plug up a crying mouth.
I was proud of myself this time, no tears. Noah on the other hand struggled a little but really only at bedtime. Naps were rough or non-existent. All in all though, he has done really well and a mere 2 weeks later he is upstairs in his bed napping away- binky free.
9 comments:
I need to do the same with my little guy. I'm dreading it too. But it has to be done. You have more guts and willpower than me... I'm a wimp and keep giving in.
Where did my comment go?
Ugh...I NEED to do this but I don't WANT to. He is almost 2 1/2 though.........groan....I DON'T WANNA!! He not only has to have ONE in his mouth but literally a HANDFUL in his bed so he can stroke them while he sleeps!! So I have to keep track of SEVERAL binky's at once. I hate it but he loves them so........and I am afraid the double purpose is going to make it harder.
You're not taking away his "slip" are you????
No, the "silky" stays. In fact, it was nice that he had two comforts so he was left totally comfortless.
I am glad that Ava has her Lamby so that she has something to comfort her during her bedtime!! We have yet to take the binky away but it will be gone by her second birthay no doubt!
That is a cool shot of Noah at the bottom.
I need to do it too. He just has it when he sleeps. Mom told me to let him keep it when he sleeps as long as he wants. She is such an enabler. I just dread the naps cutting in half when I take it away.
That would be my mom's advice too Im sure LOL!
Post a Comment